Tuesday, September 23, 2008

In Residence

I'm still getting used to being a resident of the Residence Inn, but so far it's okay. This afternoon, I was at the house for an hour and sustained 17 mosquito bites INSIDE. If I were still living there, I don't know what I would do.

A minor setback yesterday: the insurance company shipped my adjustor to Houston, so we had to start all over this morning with a brand new adjustor. The good news is that he seems more sympathetic than the last one. Time will tell. But again, I feel like Jeff, the contractor, is my own private guardian angel. The NEW adjustor, Tom, agreed that the foundation of the kitchen/bath had sustained too much damage and is approving taking the WHOLE back section of the house off and rebuilding it. New plumbing, new electric, new floors, new subfloor. All great for me in the long run. In the short run... adds a lot more time to the rebuild.

Again, no feelings of "phew!" until the numbers start rolling in.

This is my horoscope for the week: VIRGO (Aug. 23-Sept. 22): Many people who pray don't limit their conversations with God to purely spiritual and ethical matters. In fact, money is one of the main subjects the Divine Wow is asked to address. If you've never had the chutzpah to do this yourself, I suggest you try it soon. Higher powers of all kinds, from your boss to the loan officer at the bank to the Creator Herself, may be unusually receptive to your pleas. I'm guessing you'll be able to tap into financial help "from above," or that you will make a connection with an elevated source of wealth that has previously been out of your reach.

Going through this process, I can see how some crappy people would try to milk the "system." I just want to be treated fairly. It's a shame that I have the whole Katrina thing hanging over my head. I feel like if I am treated with a modicum of respect (which I have been thus far), I've "WON." Like, I'm lucky to not be dismissed or cheated.

Still, I feel desperately ignorant when it comes to the insurance system. And I don't know if I can learn about it fast enough to make sure that years from now I'm not saying, "Ohhhh... if I'd only known that when I was in dire straits."

Baby steps, you know? This Friday is my next (second to last!!!) chemo, and I just need to get through that before I start fretting again. This will be a looooong process; I need to keep reminding myself that it all doesn't have to be settled today.

No comments: