Sunday, September 21, 2008

One Week Ike-iversary: Movin' Out

So right now I am packing up to move to the downtown Residence Inn for an undetermined amount of time. For some reason (like I need a reason), I'm terribly anxious about the whole thing. I keep moving around the house thinking, "Well, no, this isn't going to be the fall that we build our patio" and "Gee, it's a shame I bought that outdoor fireplace. It's really only good in the fall" and "Was last night really the last night I'll curl up on my couch and watch bad romantic comedies for the next three plus months?"

Yes, three plus months is the unofficial estimate.

And that's the only number I have for you.

On Friday, the contractor and cabinet guy came at 8am to prep me for the insurance guy who showed up at 9am. Everybody stayed until 1130am. I am totally lucky to have hooked up with Jeff, the contractor. Insurance dude started by saying two walls would have to be rebuilt and by the time he left, Jeff had talked him into taking down the back of my house all the way to the floor AND giving the rest of the house a whole new roof. They're still bickering over a couple of other big ticket things-- whether or not the kitchen/bathroom extension needs a whole new foundation, whether or not to replace ALL the siding on the house... But overall, it was a very big win for us. And I don't mean that to sound like we "won"-- shoot, you can't win this kind of stuff. But it was a win because we got the insurance folks to do the RIGHT thing. So far.

Jeff says not to be too pleased yet, and I'm following his advice. He says the guy could still come back with lowball numbers for everything, and it would be like starting the negotiations all over again.

And that's why whenever anyone starts talking about how cool it will be to have a new kitchen and bathroom, I get a little annoyed. It's not like I have extra money kicking around to throw at this project. With all my medical bills, I am deep in the hole. So whatever the insurance folks are willing to pay is ALL I have to work with, not a penny more. And if they're not 100% fair (or goodness forbid, generous), then I am up the proverbial creek.

So even though I allowed myself to go through a couple of old Home magazines yesterday, I am definitely NOT in the "Woo hoo!! I can't wait to have crown molding!" mode yet.

Likewise, I LOVE hotels. I have often thought it would be lovely to be one of those people who LIVES in a hotel. But I just can't get very excited about this. Sheesh, just a little more than a week ago, I was saying that my house was depressing (largely, but not entirely, due to the fact that I've spent so many months sick here). Now I feel like I'm going to miss it very much.

That being said, I AM looking forward to the free breakfast buffet and weekday Manager's Reception. That's kind of nifty. The insurance company is going to try to find a furnished apartment in my neighborhood, but I'm kinda hoping they don't find one! (Not to mention, a friend suggested that I try to get Marriott awards for my stay, and I can-- so that's also kind of nifty.)

Ok, back to the boxes and bags. Jas is due home on Wednesday-- just in time for Waterfront Wednesday, a monthly outdoor concert here in Louisville, which just happens to be a few blocks from our new (temporary) home. Likewise, nifty.

No comments: