Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Now What?

Now, we wait. Or, I wait.

As I said, the contractor called today and came by to make notes for the estimate. He's decided to put it as a total loss. Three of the four walls of the bathroom/kitchen section of the house sustained serious damage. The only wall that might be salvageable has floor to ceiling custom cabinetry with some damage, and it's hard to replace bits and pieces of that.

When we did a little more poking around, we also found that a wall in my bedroom sustained damage (my room is adjacent to the kitchen). So, there's that. Not to mention a dozen feet or so of fencing and some minor damage to the garage roof.

I didn't LOSE much in the way of material things as the tree came through the wall that sheltered the least amount of stuff in the house, thankfully. All of my appliances are intact. Even in my bathroom, my tub is fine and my potty is fine. Only my sink got cracked.

No matter what happens, I'll have to move out for a period of time while they work on the place. I'll be without a bathroom and a kitchen whether they repair or rebuild. Next Friday is my next chemo, and I have a hard time imagining going through that without access to a clean and safe bathroom, given my history with chemo side effects.

But there's a lot to be thankful for-- not the least of which is that school has been called off since the storm due to the power outage there. I'm so thankful that I have power and that the guys were able to make my house safe and relatively livable. And of course, I am thankful that I am safe.

I'll post an update when there's any big news.

Love to you all.

No comments: